“The Christian delights to be obedient, but it is the obedience of love to which he is constrained by the example of his Master.”
If he is leading us, two or three things are true.
1. He will go before us, and he will select no way in which his sheep could not travel.
“Soon I go, not knowing;
I would not if I might;
I’d rather walk in the dark with God
Than go alone in the light.
I’d rather walk by faith with him
Than go alone by sight.”
If it be the path of sorrow, it is turned into rejoicing because he is with us; if it be the way of disappointment, change the d to an h and it will become “his appointment,” and it will be our joy.
2. We must be like his bond-slaves as we go on; it is not, however, the slavery in which shackles keep us from freedom, but the spirit of that text, “Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.” It does not mean liberty for us to do as we please, for that is lawlessness; but rather liberty for him to do as he pleases with us; and that is all joy.
It is possible under certain conditions for the marble to be molded like clay in the hands of the potter, and thus to become the statue of an angel; but this is nothing compared with the transformation which may be wrought in our lives, did he but have the right of way in them.
3. There can be only one way through this world for the child of God if this text be true, and that is the way where he can travel before us. In our attitude toward the world and our walk through it we must go only as he leads.
SUGGESTIONS FOR TODAY:
1. Make a firm resolve that this day of your life shall be for his glory, and so let him lead you where he wills.
2. Remember his words, that “inasmuch as ye did it unto the least of these, you did it unto me.” Lift some one’s burden today; cheer some one’s downcast soul. This will please him.
3. If there is some one against whom you have a grudge, do that one a favor today. The chances are, your feelings will change entirely before the week is ended. Live and act today as you think Jesus would. This is allowing him to lead you.