There are two things to be constantly borne in mind in connection with the shepherd’s life, not only that he cares for the weak sheep, and goes seeking for wandering sheep, but
1. The shepherd generally in his watch-care over the flock takes his position on some place of elevation. In this way he is able to protect the interests of his sheep, and our Shepherd is thus exalted, and at the right hand of God he has taken his seat. He is not standing, for that would indicate a work not completed, and after the order of men, but seated, as our high priest. Heb. 10:11, 12.
Do you remember how, when our Master took with him Peter and James and John and went into the garden of Gethsemane, he left the chosen three and went into the deepening shadows alone to pray? In the midst of his prayer he came back again to his disciples for a word of sympathy, and found them sleeping. Have you ever noticed the sentence recorded just at that point? It is this: “For their eyes were heavy.” It is the explanation given by our Master, and recorded by the Holy Ghost, for their apparent failure. It was as if he had said, “Poor men, they are tired out; they have had no rest; their eyes were heavy it is not because they are indifferent.” And it is just this kind of explanation which he is making before God today, for you and for me, in the time of our weakness.
2. The shepherd always stands between his sheep and danger, and our Shepherd does the same. If we are living where we ought to live, and in right relations with him, he wilt turn aside the darts of the evil one; but, if our walk is out of fellowship, and our hearts are not right, it will be perfectly natural and easy for us to fall.
So today, when temptation comes, put Christ between you and it. When sin finds lodgment in your heart, break with it instantly in his power, for the least sin, encouraged and not forsaken, will lead you to awful defeat and despair. No child of God is strong enough to resist evil if heis out of fellowship with Christ. Put him between you and every thought of sin.
SUGGESTIONS FOR TODAY:
1. Confess sin instantly today. Bear in mind that he is at the right hand of God to intercede for you.
2. Bear in mind that men who have made shipwreck of their lives began with a sin as small as the sin in your life of yesterday.
3. For today guard the point where you failed yesterday, not by the power of resolution, but by placing him between you and that danger. He is ever the secret of victory over sin.